Brief Encounter - A Lovely British Film

 

If you need a break from all of the global miseries, I recommend a British film called Brief Encounter. It's a lovely, deceptively quiet and sophisticated story (except for the scenes with the lady at the train station snack bar - she's a hoot!) about two travelers, married to other people, who fall hopelessly in love after a chance meeting in the station.

The couple's roller coaster ride of emotions is so engrossing, you can lose yourself completely in their predicament. Especially the woman, who is relating the story. Celia Johnson plays Laura as a sorrowful, unsatisfied wife who treasures her once a week escape on the train. Trevor Howard, who usually plays a gruff military type or a copper, is surprisingly sensitive and touching here as the doctor who loves Laura desperately but is too honorable to hurt his family.

The film can be heartbreaking at times, near the end Laura almost makes a horrible decision and her terror is palpable.

The film has so many wonderful little vignettes. I find something new that I love about it each time I see it. I must say though, I despise the doctor's uppity "friend" who has the apartment where the doctor stays over sometimes. With friends like that, who needs enemies? And Laura's acquaintance at the train station, who talks a mile a minute until you just want her to STFU - whoa - I have known people like that so she is very real. I wonder sometimes if her type of person is simply afraid of silence.

Anyway, Brief Encounter is a beautiful, sad, unforgettable experience. Oh, and the classical music in the background adds so much to the atmosphere. I adore it!

 


 

Comments

Popular Posts