Bette Davis

Today is Bette Davis' birthday. She was my favorite actress. The kind of true artist who BECAME her characters. You can watch a dozen of her films and yes, notice some similar mannerisms but each role is so unique that I sometimes forget that it is Bette Davis playing a part.

Julie in Jezebel is stubborn and conceited, Gabby in The Petrified Forest is shy and childlike, Charlotte in Now, Voyager is an unholy mess of neuroses thanks to her mother, Regina in The Little Foxes is downright evil, as is Leslie in The Letter but in a totally different way. All of these women are fascinating to watch - some will make you pity them, others will disgust you. 

It's hard to realize just how long ago she was a star. TV distorts reality and time itself. I turn on TCM and there she is, young and fresh-faced again, tormenting her lovers or being tormented herself by unrequited love. I never tire of her voice or her beauty. 

I'm glad I was able to see her on talk shows when I was growing up. I miss all of the great stars of those golden days. They were intelligent and stylish and witty and tough but with a lovely grace that won you over. We'll never see their kind again.

 



Comments

Popular Posts