Johnny Cool - A Film Noir

Watched Johnny Cool on FMC, a classic movie channel (with commercials - ugh) and I have to say, I'm not sure exactly what to think about this film. I guess it could be called a Film Noir. It's definitely a crime drama, with gangsters and violence. But it's kind of bizarre.

The basic plot concerns a bored divorcee named Dare, played by gorgeous Elizabeth Montgomery (in her natural brunette, looks like Serena, phase) who meets up with an Italian hit man named Johnny Cool (Henry Silva) - he's in LA to seek revenge on the gangsters who brought about the deportation of mob boss Marc Lawrence. Dare and Johnny are immediately smitten with each other, so much so that she is willing to tag along with him when he goes after the gangsters, which leads to some dangerous circumstances. 

The film is full of familiar faces like Telly Savalas, Jim Backus, Elisha Cook, Robert Armstrong, and other classic TV series' stars and guest stars. There are a few Rat Pack members as well. Sammy Davis, Jr. even sings the theme song. 

I will admit I missed a couple of scenes while I was feeding my cats. Still, what I did see was a bit overwrought. I'm not blaming the actors. They did what they could with the material. But I honestly wasn't upset about the fate of the two main characters. They deserved it.

I just hope I don't have nightmares about that scary room where the gangsters took their enemies. Yikes!

 


 

Comments

Popular Posts